Sunday, August 4, 2013

Brief Interlude

RichardM...thank you for the push. Moving took (is taking) much, much, much longer than expected. And it is quite disheartening. We had to cut it off at some point in order to chaperone Moose to a conference.

We worked our butts off to get everything out of the house so our friend/neighbor could move in. If we hadn't had that hanging over our heads we would have taken our time and felt less pressure. But it is what it is. We managed to empty the "house", but there are still remnants in the garage that will have to be dealt with next week.

DefCon is a nice break. Though this too shall end and back to the grindstone we will be dealing with paint, carpet, more moving of his mother, of our stuff out of the basement and into our living area. Sigh. I refuse to think about it.

I had hoped to share pictures, but since we are still in the middle of moving I haven't had time to give you teasers. Here are a couple of walk through images that might tide you over for a little while.

 
Our first day (and overnight) provided us with beautiful patterns coming through the leaded, beveled glass front door windows, and the deer frolicking in the back yard about 30 feet away from where we sat.
This room has since become packed with items that are not meant to be here. You will have to imagine it is really meant for other purposes...the extra wide doorway capable of allowing, say motorcycles with attached saddlebags, to pass right through...

What is terribly depressing is that my entire previous household manages to fit into one room in the basement, with room to spare. Sitting in the emptiness that is upstairs, waiting for carpet, makes me feel the massiveness of this new house. I do not intend on filling it. I'm liking empty space...

But we do have a little slice of home set up in another room in the basement. Oilburner is finally getting his movie/theater room.

 

15 comments:

  1. What! Me, nag?

    DefCon! What an opportunity though the location may be a tad warm. I hope you and moose managed to stay out of trouble…

    The new house looks nice and roomy though Oilburner may need a HUGE tv for that media room. So what is the green floored room for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fear that Mike and BRW might request Moose to return home. But I swear that Moose made me take him to the lock picking class. The skill will come in useful when we get home as the movers locked Oilburner's toolbox...and doesn't know where the key is. Moose will use his knowledge for good.

    I will find the CAN and GoPro hacks interesting...

    The green floored room? Hmmm...super wide entry door from the outside, no motorcycle will be housed in the garage... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure the room is large enough? ;-)

      Indoor bike shop and storage, nice! And lock picking is a very useful skill. Soon, you'll need business cards that can be broken down into a lock picking tool set...

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, the green floor room has a window, therefore it is an outside wall. With a bit of liquid courage, lack of common sense and a chainsaw you could have a rough cut opening for a roll up door. Now what's on the other side of that wall opposite the door... since the chainsaw is warmed up anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...you might be on to something. I hadn't thought of a roll up door. I was devising something with an automatic arm that the pass to flash could connect to. Of course, Oilburner then called me lazy.

      Delete
  4. Hope you had fun at DefCon! Awesome!

    Don't envy you having had to go through the move - we'll be doing the same in the next few weeks. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered that my hacker-fu is woefully immature. I was quite impressed, and scared, at some of the things presented. I was already paranoid...didn't need to be more so. :) I think you might have enjoyed it.

      Yeah...moving seems to be never-ending. I still don't know how you two decided what stays and what goes overseas. My heart goes with you, happy for you, sad for me.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the update. Been thinking about y'all! Looks like you will have room to spare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! Things "seem" to be coming together. Though the challenges continue. In a much better position to meet them. :) Yep, room to spare, and I don't mind leaving it empty! hehe

      Delete
  6. It looks like it will be a good move for you. Room to spare and a deer in the back yard.

    Although I don't envy you cleaning a big house. Cleaning days are when I really appreciate 912 sq ft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! Yeah. I'm cautiously hopeful. Though I have also said at the slightest provacation I will sell this place, ship his mother to one of the ones bitching, and move back to my old house. :)

      As for cleaning, mom is hiring a service. So I don't have to clean up after her. We will be responsible for our own little slice of heaven, and it will about match yours. I think ours is 932 sq ft. hehe

      Delete
  7. I get soooo caught up in riding and my own bs, that I never seem to have enough time to explore the other wonderful sites that are out there. Glad I have found yours, and that was due to a comment on mine from ages ago. I just have to do better. I apologize, but I'm here now. Cheers and Congratulations on the move!!! We just don't see deer in our back yard in Sacramento. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Demenshea! Thanks for reading and commenting. I'm so jealous of your trips and getting out on your own. So I am living vicariously through you, until I can spend more time on my own steed too. :)

      Thanks for the congrats on the move...hopefully I will continue to embrace the attitude of "PURGE"!!

      No deer in Sacramento? Do you get to see any in the mountains?

      Delete
  8. Lori:

    I don't know what's going on. I am so far behind and not much internet the past few days

    which room is mine ? Can I have the room with the wide door ? I like my motorcycle beside me

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob. You aren't missing much here. Just: purchase house, close on house, move houses, have lots of junk that is depressing, and just move anyways, haven't unpacked, waiting for painters, waiting for carpet, waiting for strange smells to go away, live outside of suitcases, work hard, fly to Vegas at the worst possible time, move Oilburners mom...live with Oilburners mom...

      :)

      You can stay near your bike in the room with the big door. But the sofa is down the hall and it might be a little more comfortable. :)

      Hope you are still enjoying your trip! I'm reading and living through you!

      Delete