Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Small Milestones

It appears that I have stopped paying close attention to the total mileage on my bike since reaching my "ownership" milestone of 18884.  I mean, I do pay attention to it in a cursory way.  I want to make sure I perform, or have performed, the necessary service at all the required intervals.  But beyond that it hasn't crossed my attention.

In addition to the regular odometer, my bike has two tripometers.  One I keep set to the current ride out of the driveway this morning.  The other is set to keep track of the mileage on the current tank of fuel.  So I usually have one of the tripometers displaying at any given time.  I might flip through the odometer on my way to one of the tripometers.  And it may catch my attention, or not.

On my way to grab some tags the other day (write up forthcoming) I became aware that I would probably reach the 25,000 mile marker while on my way home.  Do you know how long a mile is when you are waiting for your odometer to flip?  It is interminable!!  I had to negotiate new road constructions, new stop lights and traffic, ever keeping an eye on my odometers hoping I would be someplace near a parking lot.  I was getting ready to make a few laps around the hospital just to flip it since I wouldn't have stopping opportunities on the highway.  Luck would have it that it flipped just before the highway transition and I was able to pull into a parking lot and snap my little proof.

Bikes odometer at 25,000 miles.

Just 75,000 more to go to feel she is broken in.  LOL.

Addendum:
I have been sneered at for this post (a little) since there isn't a frame of reference.  I did not put all 25K miles on this bike.  I did purchase it when it was 11 months old with 9442 miles under her shoes.  Hence my illogical but deeply seated fantasy that she wasn't really mine until I had put more miles on her then the previous owner did.  Making 18884 a magical number to me.  But as I said, upon reaching 18885 I haven't really given the mileage a second thought until I remembered that she needed her 24K rub down and fondling.  Still all a moot point since she is almost up to 26K now.  :)  Happy roads to you and may your take as good a care of you.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Beemer Girl:

    That's the spirit.

    Fondest regards,
    Jack • reep • Toad
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jack,

    How many miles does Fireballs have?

    I just never seem to wipe the smile off of my face astride this bike. Even riding through the cow farm area of the state. :)

    ReplyDelete