Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Monday Launch - Savannah RR Day2

cont'd from Savannah RR - Nov 23, 2009

The weekend rained as expected. But it didn't put a damper on our activities.  We caught up on our requisite "Midnight" education in the evenings and enjoyed our roasted garlic hummus.  So I had to give a little thought about leaving on Monday morning.  We checked the weather reports and verified the previous forecasts: Monday projected with overcast skies and temps in the low to mid 60's.  Tuesday and Wednesday forecast to be sunny with temps in the high 60's, low 70's (and yes, it was still for my destinations, not current location).

Of course, I was awake early and gathering the gear and making coffee!!  (Helping to wake G up and get her ready for her hectic day.)  I will excuse myself, since I have never owned a coffee maker or coffee grinder, that I really didn't know what I was doing when I started that darn pot of coffee.  I scooped the beans into the grinder to about the level I thought G had, filled the water reservoir and hit go.  It was only upon verification with G that I realized I had probably put a few too many scoops of beans and not enough water into that maker.  So before we "taste tested" the brew we added a couple more cups of water (4 to be exact...oops).  I now know how many scoops to water for two people and shouldn't have a problem next time.

I think I hit the road about 9.  I could look at SPOT but am too lazy.  I really had no clue where I was headed and was going to have to rely on the GPS.  I promptly missed my first turn, but didn't mind too much as some of the neighborhoods are a little sketchy.  I stuck with the straight route through town, only to end up on the other side of the tracks and underneath the freeway.  Not much better then the alternative it seemed.  But there wasn't much traffic.  I was soon purportedly on Hwy 17 heading south, but wasn't terribly impressed with the junk yards and mechanic shops lining the road.  Let's just hope it cleaned up.

I had a light day in front of me with only 120 or so miles.  I just planned on taking it slow and easy.  Maybe stop by a couple of coastal forts.  I had realized late last night that GA State Historic Sites are now on their winter hours, meaning closed on Monday's.  Actually, only open on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  I decided to continue my plan to the first fort, Fort Morris, just to see what was around.

Well, I wasn't disappointed.  They were closed.  And even though half of the gate was open I was chicken enough to not venture down it.  I took the requisite "shots" in front of the gate and headed towards the coast...1/4 mile away.  :-)

 
 

It is still fall this far south.


So much to see and do in this area.  Alas, all closed on this Monday.


The roads are clear and open.  So quiet and pretty.


The little town of Sunbury, GA is just 300 feet or so down the road.  It looks pretty interesting, but all sand roads.  I'm not willing to mess with sand on my first day, so just head to the dock and take a few more pictures.



 
 
 
 

And I think one of my most favorite historical markers.  Who writes these things??



Just in case you can't read this:

"Sunbury
Home of Many Famous Persons

Many famous persons lived in the town of Sunbury.  Among the was Dr. Lyman Hall, signer of the Declaration of Independence.  It was also the home of Richard Howley and Nathan Brownson, later governers of Georgia; of John Elliot and Alfred Cuthbert, United States Senators; of Major John Jones and Major Lachlan McIntosh.  Button Gwinnett, another signer of the Declaration of Independence, spent much time here as a Justice of St. John's Parish, and Georgia's third signer, George Walton was among those help in Sunbury as a prisoner of the British during the Revolution.

Mariah J. McIntosh, noted authoress and her brother, Commodore James McKay McIntosh, hero of the Mexican War, were born in Sunbury.  The Hon. John E. Ward, first United States Minister to China, and the Hon. William Law, noted Jurist, were also natives of Sunbury."

The state park is a tale in itself...

No comments:

Post a Comment